Developing a cruise control... can you answer a few questions for me? - Page 2 - Scion IQ Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to oldschool
Default Re: Developing a cruise control... can you answer a few questions for me?

Thank for the info on the cruise control.....
But whats the web site?

Life is a journey to the grave with the intention of "not"arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, and proclaiming, “WOW” what a ride !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Default Re: Developing a cruise control... can you answer a few questions for me?

All I can say is... spread the word! Get people here. I'm rather shocked that there's so little interest. For the smart car, we had over 100 people lined up before we did any dev work at all... and over 1000 people after it started to look real.

With 90% of the development already done, this should be easy. But we simply can't do it for 5 or 6 HUNDRED, let alone just 5 or 6 individuals.

Does nobody own this car yet? Is it really for city driving only? That's what they said about the smart, but tons of people use them on the highways and just about EVERYONE wanted cruise.

I'm willing and able to get a cruise for the IQ, but serious interest has to be present. Its a lot of money to get them produced (if you want it to look factory, anyway).

- Steven
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 04:40 PM

This car just recently came to our dealership in Texas. I bought the very first IQ from this dealer in February, 2012! The car has not even reached the East coast dealerships yet. They started with California in November, 2011, and are working from west coast to east cost across the US. Since it is so new, it will take a while to get cars sold and everyone talking about the lack of cruise control. Be patient - I will spread the word and more and more people will want it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 07:27 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to oldschool

Yea, There slowly but surely making it across the US.
I have the first one in Phoenix AZ and I picked it up on January 21 2012.
Its a lonely world being the only species in the land.... Everybody points and asks "Is that the new smart car."...? And when you come back out to the car all the fore head prints on the side windows from people looking in the car...
Its interesting that it does not come with cruise control as every "expert" says one of the two most important things you can do to get the best mileage out of any car is to make sure the tire are inflated to its correct pressure and "use the cruise control"...
If Scion is after the SMART car for everything including its suppose to get better mileage then why wouldn't it have cruise control in it already? The other Scions models have it from the factory....
I spoke with the dealership I bought it from and said I would pay upwards of $500 for cruise control, a center consul and a self locking car jack alarm like in the other Scions....

Life is a journey to the grave with the intention of "not"arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, and proclaiming, “WOW” what a ride !!!!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

You're preaching to the choir man

It was the same story with the smart. Its made by Mercedes (for those in the know, yes I understand the differences so no need to correct me - just keeping it simple) and let me know if you can find any benz without a cruise! The reality is that outside of North America, cruise control isn't a very popular or widely used device. In North America, it is expected. As stubborn as they are, the makers of these micro cars believe that nobody would be caught dead on a highway with all the huge trucks, etc and so cruise just isn't necessary. I've got half a million dollars in sales on that one item that says they're wrong!

Had they included it from the factory on every unit, their cost would be roughly $35 higher. That would probably make your IQ cost about $200 more than it does now. As aftermarket, because we a) hit a much smaller percentage (Probably < 10% compared to 100% if they put it in all of them standard and b) have to retrofit... it ends up costing a lot more and the end user pays closer to $500. Although, I do believe we can probably get it to IQ owners for less since the electronics design is virtually done. I doubt there's much we'd have to change electrically to work with the IQ. That's not to say there's not a ton to do! The car's ECU would have to be decoded, the wiring figured out, and (most expensively) a custom switch manufactured. But the core electronics, at least, is there.

But the word really needs to be spread. We had very serious interest in our cruise for the smart over a year before the first car landed in the US. The smart forums were WAY more active. But I should mention, that this is the only forum I found where I was permitted to post. So I have to depend on you guys to spread the word to other clubs/forums/etc.

- Steven

ps. In case you're curious, here's our smart cruise control and here's the installation instructions.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 08:22 AM

I just posted a link from Scion IQ Owners in Facebook to this blog. Here is what I posted - should bring some interest to your company.

For those IQ owners who are interested in an after-market cruise control, a company called "Smarieparts" is looking for IQ owners who want them to develop cruise control for IQ like they did for the Smart Cars. Follow the link and give them your feedback. With enough interest they will develop one.

I added the link which will bring them here. Hope this helps!

Denise
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

That's what I'm talking about! Stuff like that, we can't do. So many sites (FB included) prohibit "Spamming" and for good reason! I have to carefully plant the seed and hope it grows naturally.

Cheers.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 10:35 AM

Hey everyone! good forum!

....sick....
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 02:10 AM

The single biggest reservation I had about buying an IQ was lack of cruise control as an option. I would definitely be interested. Do not get too discouraged about lack of response .. there are not that many users here and not that many owners yet.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 08:04 PM

You can add me to the list of people that would like cruise. I've had my IQ for about a month. Figured I would just use it for zipping around town and we would drive our new Forester when we found the need to cruise an interstate. As it is, we almost always take the IQ, Interstate or not. Two things missing from the IQ as far as I'm concerned. Cruise and a center armrest. I'd be a happy buyer for both.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion IQ Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page