Toyota Yaris - Scion IQ Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 07:40 PM
TwoBear

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Default Toyota Yaris

Any love for the Toyota Yaris? It's an alternative if the iQ doesn't come to the US, and maybe even if it does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:45 PM
marinjim

Default Re: Toyota Yaris

LOVE the Yaris, almost got one for my kids until I found out how much the insurance was going to be. I've even considered one for myself as I think they are good looking cars. The kids now have a '87 Celica and a '93 Paseo. I hear that the Yaris may be the next hybrid for Toyota to beat the Honda Insite price point.

I was hoping for a plug in hybrid iQ but seems that won't happen according to recent press releases. At this point my '93 Lexus still looks like a new car so I'll keep waiting until something comes out with a 200 mile range and 60-100 mpg.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 09:59 AM
TwoBear

I'm going to go look at the Yaris on Monday. My Focus is having issues, and since it is out of warranty I'm just afraid of getting stuck with big repair bills in the future. I'd like to replace it sooner than the iQ is going to get here, I'm afraid.

It seems like the folks over on YarisWorld really like their cars, and they're getting some great MPG numbers, too.

You mention insurance being expensive... moreso than I'd expect? What's up with that?

Thanks

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 11:13 AM
marinjim

Insurance was high because both kids were under 21 and I would get full coverage on a new car, with the old ones liability only is sufficient.

Do call your insurance company and get a quote before buying.

Years ago I read Honda quit making the CRX because so many young kids were getting them and the risk of a claim increased to a level that it was prohibitively expensive to insure. Honda had to stop making the car.

Since the Yaris is affordable I'm sure many kids are getting them and it would be prudent to check the insurance rates before buying. Something I do before buying any car new or used.

I can pretty much guarantee you won't have any Yaris repair bills for years if you do regular maintenance.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 02:37 PM
TwoBear

I checked my insurance... it would be pretty close to what I'm paying now in the Focus.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 02:41 PM
marinjim

Good for you, I bet you feel better having checked. Getting a liftback or sedan? 2, 4 or 5 door? Color?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 12:21 PM
TwoBear

I'm looking at a 3 door liftback with automatic and the power package. The color is meteorite, which is a kind of dark silver. I'll post more after I see/drive it tomorrow. My significant other is NOT happy that I'm talking about trading the Ford after only 3 years, but I would really like something I can trust and has a warranty.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 12:52 PM
marinjim

3 door is my favorite, you might consider a more visible color with such a small car, even white. I had a silver car years a go and after a fender bender the body shop advised metallic colors are the hardest to match although it may not be an issue now.

Re warranty you'll find that you'll never need it with a Toyota although make sure to get the dealer to attend to anything that's not right within the warranty. Also as the warranty nears it's end make sure to go in and have them attend to anything bugging you. Most Toyota dealers will extend the warranty on items you pointed out near the end of the warranty period.

One last suggestion, we have a Prius and have found a dealer that is 30 miles away charges 1/2 what the local 2 dealerships charge for scheduled servicing (granted we live in an expensive area).
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 08:18 PM
TwoBear

Went to look at the Yaris today, and here's the deal...

I have a 2006 Ford Focus 5 door hatchback. I really like the car, but it has been giving me trouble since the day I bought it. Nothing major, just lots of little crap. Now that it is out of warranty all the little repairs will be coming out of my pocket. It's going to need new tires soon, too, another big expense.

I've liked the Yaris ever since they came out. In fact, I looked at them before I bought the Focus, but in the Chicagoland sales area it was impossible to get a hatchback with ABS, something I consider mandatory for our winters here in Wisconsin. Now they're standard equipment.

So, I visited the Toyota dealer today after getting an internet price from them. The car I'm looking at is a 3 door with automatic and the power package and floor mats. The sticker price is $15865, but there "best" price for the car is $14296 with the current rebate. They are offering me $8000 for my car in trade.

I really like the Yaris. I commute about 50 miles to work every day and want something economical. The thing is, though, I really like my Focus, too. I just wish I knew that it wasn't going to cause me grief in the future. I really depend on my car, and if I get hit with really big repair bills buying a new car will be a lot more difficult.

So... what to do, what to do, what to do?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:34 PM
marinjim

I'm selling a 2002 VW Passat for a friend and was going through his receipts and found some bills for repairs that never should have occurred for such a new car. I'd been meaning to look at consumer reports to see how his car rated for reliability and no surprise below average. I also checked the Focus, average, and the Yaris above average reliability. I've always told my kids there are only 2 makes of cars Toyota and Honda (of course their other brands too, Acura, Scion & Lexus).

I checked Auto Trader and it seems that the dealer is offering a fair trade in value, normally I'd say try and sell it yourself but once you factor in the needing new tires that probably wouldn't make sense. Since I don't know if the Focus is paid for nor your ability to budget for payment there are pieces to the puzzle only you know.

My personal opinion is go for the Yaris as you won't have the worry about it breaking down and will be able to keep it far longer. No worries about being without transportation. You know the Focus is going to continue to be a problem I have a '93 Lexus I bought with 20K mi. in '94 that runs like a champ and although I want a new car I can't make a case for it.

You might want to call some dealers that are further away and tell them to give their best price on the phone and use that to get the closer dealer to come down a bit more. I suspect the reason they can give you so much for the Focus is there is profit in the Yaris to make up for it. The only other thing you might consider is a late model used Yaris from someone who can no longer afford theirs although you'd have to sell the Focus yourself (please sell before buying especially in this market).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion IQ Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page