Is it ever gonna come to US? - Scion IQ Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default Is it ever gonna come to US?

Hi you all. I hear what the member said that they might be holding off announcing iQ waiting for Prius sales and such, but I am wondering if maybe they just aren't going to bring the iQ here at all. Maybe only the EV (electric in the iQ body) in 2012. They have announced that. I called a Toyota dealership where the manager said the smart was too small to be safe & I laughed and told her she needs to come up with a better sales pitch since iQ is the same sized body within a foot and has 5 stars safety. It turns out they really don't know anything about the iQ and were trying to encourage me to get a "larger than smart" Yaris. The nice woman was a good sport and listened to my information and said that she was definitely gonna check out the iQ now. I know I am obsessive, but literally this is the 3rd Toyota or Scion manager at different locations that haven't really heard of the iQ, nevertheless when it will come here. I am wondering if only the EV will come after all (& in a few years from now).

I don't know anything... Just saying...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Is it ever gonna come to US?

The best you can do for the US iQ is actually to buy/recommend Smart in the US. If it turns out to be popular, then Toyota should be less reluctant to introduce some competition for the Smart.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 02:34 PM
marinjim

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

http://wot.motortrend.com/6488843/au...rts/index.html

3/18/2009

Scion iQ Concept to Debut at New York Auto Show; Can it Win American Hearts?

When we reported back in early October that the Toyota iQ would debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show as a Scion, turns out we jumped the gun a bit by three shows. Apparently, the Scion-badged iQ our sources saw was headed to a Toyota dealer event instead of L.A. at the time. Nevertheless, Toyota will be bringing the rebadged iQ concept to New York next month as a pre-production look at the newest member of the automaker's youth brand lineup.

The iQ itself will come to market as a sub-$15,000 two-door subcompact hatch with enough hip, quirky appeal to potentially lure some buyers away from the similarly tiny Smart Fortwo. We're likely to see the 1.5L engine from the Yaris under the iQ's hood mated to either a five-speed manual or Toyota's Multidrive CVT.

When we drove a Toyota-badged iQ last year, we concluded that it rode more maturely than the Smart, but featured virtually non-existent rear seat room, an equally impractical trunk, and uninspiring behavior when hustled. Additionally, considering upcoming European rivals such as the Ford Fiesta and the Volkswagen Golf MK6 will likely match the iQ's fuel economy while offering more room and practicality, it was hard to even praise that facet of the diminutive hatchback.

Still, there may be a few changes yet to come for the Scion-branded iQ when it enters the U.S. market. We'll have all the updates when we bring you live coverage from the New York Auto Show next month, but meanwhile, what are your thoughts on a Scion iQ? Will the Japanese subcompact have what it takes to win over American hearts?

Source: Scion

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 PM
JnC

What I don't understand is if it truly is the iQ, why are they calling it a concept? The iQ is already being delivered elsewhere on the globe. While I realize the powertrain might change, as well as airbags/seating, I still don't think that's enough to call it a new "concept".
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 03:34 PM
marinjim

"Still, there may be a few changes yet to come for the Scion-branded iQ when it enters the U.S. market."

It's a concept for Scion versus a production model for Toyota, especially since they may want to tweak it for the US market some more. At least they're actually showing it versus just being a rumor.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnC
What I don't understand is if it truly is the iQ, why are they calling it a concept? The iQ is already being delivered elsewhere on the globe. While I realize the powertrain might change, as well as airbags/seating, I still don't think that's enough to call it a new "concept".
Thay think Ford Focus and VW Golf are competitors to the iQ, showing their obliviousness to the segments. Go figure.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

So if the iQ is being shown at NY, any guesses on when is it likely to be for sale? I am so excited to finally hear something.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:57 PM

I was thinking about options if it comes to the us as a Scion. Options Ive seen on the iQ in other countries like leather, keyless start, and pearl white are not available on current scion in the US. Unless its a release series or something. What are your thought? What options would you like to see?
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 02:53 PM
marinjim

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]PHEV (Plug-in Electric Hybrid Vehicle)
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 02:46 PM
marinjim

HERE IT IS (not April fools joke)

Scion iQ concept spotted prior to New York auto show unveiling

Only 1 photo but as the day/week goes on more to come!!!!

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...YORK/904019980

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion IQ Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page